The Reverie Reborn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Yackle

Family Affairs {Open} Empty Family Affairs {Open}

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:22 pm
Jarah leaned back in her chair, and closed her eyes, "So, what your sayin here son is some Naran brat got themselves kidnapped outta Augustana, and is ferreted away round here somewhere.  The Naran's are worried their gonna kill the kid for his Ioun stone, and they're offering a rich reward for his safe return.  I got that right?"  She said glancing at the young man across from her who nodded.  "Aight, makes sense," she said with a nod, "So why in the hell does your daddy want me to look into this.  What's in it for us?  We don't need no dang Naran payouts, do we?  Family's not doing to bad out here is it?"

The young man leaned forward with an elbow on the table and spoke excitedly, "That's just it Mama J, we're doin pretty good here but if a Jones were to recover this kid and his stone, we could pick up the contract for guarding their exports as they travel across the continent, guarding the shipyards and possible even get a few contracts in a sea guards.  Not only does that gives us quite a bit more pull around here, with the shipyards we would have easier access for some of our...other activities.  I mean, we'd also be helpin this kid too he's about 16, bit dumb and spoiled, but from what I here he's a decent enough kid."  

Jarah chuckled and leaned towards her great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson (give or take a few greats) "You're a smart kid Jeth, tell your daddy I'll see what I can do."  Jeth smiled and began rolling up his sleeve, "You sure kid?  Your daddy's didn't force you into this did he?" She asked eyebrows knitted together in worry.

"Are you kidding me? Five years ago my sister Kala got to do it, she showed off that scar for years, even wearin short sleeves in the winter.  I had to fight my brother Russ for this," Jeth said excitedly pulling out a small knife.  "Having the mark of Mama J is one of the biggest honors a Jones can have, great uncle Adrian has three of them and maybe someday I will too!"  He cut into his forearm and held it out to Jarah who took it gently in her hands, bringing it up to her mouth.

Jarah drank for a minute, the coppery warmth soothing the thirst she constantly carried.  When she was finished and Jeth was wrapping his arm she couldn't help but chuckle.  "I'm surprised your uncle Adrian is still kickin around.  Each of his marks were about 20 years apart and he was bout 25 when I first met him.   I'm stayin at the Silver Snake Inn if y'all get any new info," she said as she stood up from the table and headed towards the door.

When she reached the SIlver Snake she took claim of a table near the back, and ordered a beer to bide time, watching as the main room filled for the evening crowd.  Skulking around the city might be exciting, but if you wanted info, watching and waiting was usually a better bet, and although the Silver Snake was a nice place, it was also a front for a less than reputable group and tended to attract a bit more of a seedy crowd than some of the other places.  If some criminals were after big catches like Ioun stones, the Silver Snake was where you stood the best chance of hearin about it from some drunk fool.
Sherm21
Sherm21

Family Affairs {Open} Empty Re: Family Affairs {Open}

Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:04 pm
Miselda could still hear them, the sound of boots on stone and the heavy breathing of a guard who had shirked his exercises for too many moons. One guard was simple enough, "dart around a corner, blend into a crowd, find a market stall with a kind owner", but this was not what she had planned... Four guards were another story, and she could only account for the two that she could still keep track of. She continued her sprint, dashing and jumping gracefully between people, finding respite hearing the boots getting quieter and further away. It was nothing really; a couple apples, a pear, and a bottle of cheap wine.. She'd planned on leaving some gold on the owner's stall when she made some, but she was hungry now. "I suppose I'll have to come back for this...", she growled as she darted into an alleyway, quickly wrapping the items in an unassuming sack and finding a place to leave them where they'd likely not be found. "Thrice damned guards, though I suppose there was an element of fun.", she grinned as the guard entered the alley, clearly thinking he had her cornered.

"You! Stop right there thief.. There's nowhere you can go and you shall return what you've stolen and face punishment.", he barked at Miselda. He was confused as he looked up to see her smile. "Oh cruel fate, how you thwart me so... This is the end for me I suppose, lain low at the hands of justice..", she cried, putting on a performance, falling to her knees. The guard scratched his head with the hilt of his sword, stepping slowly toward the small figure, "Umm... y-yes, I suppose.. Now come along, I'm not the one you must face." She feigned crying, slowly turning to a wicked giggle as she brought her left hand just under her right shoulder, speaking a short incantation and standing upright. A strong wind blew through the alley, picking up refuse in the current and nearly blowing the man over. As the guard covered his face, Miselda leapt into the air, her form becoming that of a small raven, and she took flight straight to the main thoroughfare before arcing upwards into the night sky.

It was truly beautiful and she never tired of seeing the bustling streets below from the air. She could see it, a small Inn that she knew all but the most dedicated patrons avoided. The Silver Snake Inn was home to a truly shoddy assortment of beds, food, and drink, but she knew it would be safe there, at least from the guards... She fell into a descent, pulling up at the last second and transforming into herself in mid-air, landing lightly with a hop. She dusted herself off and moved quickly to the door, entering casually. The barkeep paid her no mind, sighing and wiping a glass clean, before filling it with his cheapest wine and leaving it on the end of the bar. Miselda flashed a smile and gave a quick wink, taking the glass and finding a table where she could inspect this night's patrons. "Hmm.. underwhelming, truly.. Though..", she tapped a finger against her temple. "A new face?", she mumbled, taking a long drink from the glass as she stared intently. "Not a guard.. possibly a merc, but maybe a bit old.. Who are you now?", she smiled, speaking softly to herself as she inspected the woman.
Magnus Caine

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:32 am
Jirai had been flying for several days. Trying to put some distance in between him and the corpse of the summoner that had tried to bind him into servitude. It never worked out well for them, but still these mortals tried. Was it so much to ask to be left alone? There was a part of Jirai that felt sorry for the man, but at least his death had been quick, a dagger through the heart and brain. Still, staying away from that country for a while would be his best course of action.

Eventually another city came into view, and Jirai thought to himself, "This will have to do. I am tired and my wings ache." Looking over the city, he decided to land in the much less populated side of town. Diving downwards quickly, he hoped to land without being noticed. At the last moment, he unfurled his wings and touched down into a back alley. Other than scaring off a cat that was milling through the garbage, Jirai seemed alone. His wings vanished, a helpful little trick he had picked up in his Heavenly career days. Much easier to blend in with those of the Material Plane if you look like them. He ran his hands through his snow white hair, trying to make some semblance of neatness, and then walked into the street.

After perusing the local area for an hour or so, Jirai decided on a dive called the Silver Snake Inn. It was inconspicuous, and the food smell coming from it was surprisingly refreshing. He walked into the building, and went straight to the inkeep, purchasing a room here for a week. Traveling to said room, he dropped off his bag of clothes and other essentials, his kwandao, bow, and his arrows, but kept his daggers at his side. Locking the door behind him, Jirai returned to the main floor, and went to the tavern side. Ordering enough food for two adult men, and a pint of ale. Taking a seat with his back against a wall, the fallen angel looked over the crowd, while sipping his booze, trying to figure out what he wanted to do next.
Yackle

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 am
A young girl entered the room, it seemed like the Barkeeper knew her and Jarah watched her for a moment from the corner of her eye. The girl had the look of someone who knew how to get herself into trouble, but also how to get herself out of it. She watched the girl scanning the crowd, like she was looking for her next mark, and Jarah couldn't help but smile to herself. Jarah went back to watching the room and the next time she looked at the girl the girl was lookin at her. Jarah smiled at her and arched her eyebrow before nodding her head at one of the empty seats at her table.

Jarah felt her eyes drawn away from the girl as someone else entered the room, another kid, but with the white hair of a much older man. He'd ordered himself up a mess of food and found a spot alone and Jarah narrowed her eyes as she watched him for a moment. He seemed mighty familiar; the hair, his way of carrying himself, reminded her of someone from years ago, but this kid was no more than 20. Jarah shook her head and finished of her beer motioning for another on.
Sherm21
Sherm21

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am
Miselda flashed a smile to the woman, before watching the barkeep finish pouring a pint. She stood up suddenly, moving quickly to the bar to take the glass, "I've got this one! See? Look at just how helpful I am, you should really count yourself lucky..", she grinned to the barkeep, who only offered a scoff in return. She looked further down the bar to yet another interesting person, a man with white hair eating more food than she'd seen for one person in ages. Her eyes narrowed as she quickly looked him over for any identifying features, holy symbols, scars, eye color, artifacts of interest and found only the man himself to be interesting at the moment. She tapped a long fingernail to her temple, giving a short sigh and returning to the table.  

Miselda took the seat motioned to by the woman and set the pint in front of her, curious as ever. "I've not seen you before, and I make it my job to know most faces. Important ones at least, and you don't have the look of a plain Jane..", she spoke low and quickly. "If you are local, I suppose I'd say I'm sorry, though same could be said for a traveler. I suspect it's information you're looking for however? People talk, sometimes without even asking them to, and I would say you've certainly chosen a good place, if that is indeed the intended action.. Miselda Alfaire.", she motioned a curtsy, holding her hands out to her sides. She had a knack for knowing who might be dangerous, and this woman didn't seem to be someone to worry about, at least not to talk to. She had no plans of making any more enemies tonight, but perhaps a few gold could be made from delivering information? She did love a little bit of infiltration, and making people uncomfortable and divulging information was her forte.
Magnus Caine

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 pm
This was something he loved about the Material Plane, the food. Even this, cheap inn fare, was better than the food in Heaven. At least, in his own opinion. Jirai finally took a break from his eating to look about the room. Catching his interest was the two women, now sitting at the same table. One was obviously from a more rough and tumble life on the road, the other was a more... mischievous type. Something about the older woman looked familiar though. He couldn't quite place it. Definitely not someone from back in his angelic harbinger days, she didn't seem that old, but there was something that made him think she was older than she appeared. Shaking his head and ordering another ale, he would begin eating again, but this time, much more aware of his surroundings.
Aphrodine

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm
Mayday walked, and walked and walked. She only stopped for light naps here and there, trying to put as much distance between her and her pursuers as possible. A few days ago, she had stopped in a church of Pharasma and gotten a decent night of sleep and a few decent meals before leaving. The priestess offered to let her stay and work for the church, but Mayday didn't want to risk anyone getting hurt because of her. She was nice enough however, to give her some clothes, food, and a few pieces of silver with directions to the next town. And that town was now within sight, and Mayday let herself feel a little relief.
She walked into town, keeping her hood up and her head down. By now, most of the stalls selling food had closed up for the day, so swiping something was out of the question. She'd have to spend what little money she had for food, but maybe she could get a room for the night. She walked over to a little dive called the Silver Snake Inn. It wasn't the best, but it looked cheap at least. She pulled her hood down and looked around the place. The usual dregs that populated bars were there, plus a few more interesting people. So far the surface thoughts didn't give off anything bad, so she went to the barkeep, who was understandably shocked at the sight of a twelve-year-old in his bar. "Excuse me sir," she said, loud enough for just him to hear. "If it is not too much trouble, may I have a room for the night? As well as a meal?"
The barkeep stared her up and down suspiciously. His surface thoughts were that of confusion and pity. "Where are your parents, kid?" he asked.
"I do not have any," she answered simply.
He sighed. Confusion turned to sympathy. "Not sure about the room, but tell me what you want and take a seat," he instructed. Mayday gave him her order and put a few pieces of silver on the table for him. She decided to stick close and sat up at the bar, looking incredibly out of place.
Yackle

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:48 pm
Jarah let out a bark of laughter at the young girl and shook her head, "Well ain't you just a spitfire sugar," she said leaning forward in her chair, "I like you, names Jarah Jones. I ain't what you'd consider a local no, but I got family here. Last time I was in town was about...oh six years or so, and that was just for a pass through. How bout I buy you some dinner and we can figure out if you got knowledge I need, or if'n your willing to help me find it." She motioned over one of the bar maids to bring Miselda food and looked around the room again. Most people were caught up in their own activities, the white haired man was still eating and she noticed a young girl talking to the the bar keeper.

This girl was young, and looked to be alone, Jarah didn't wanna meddle but she kept a close eye on the young girl as she took her spot at the bar. Those Mama bear senses are hard to turn off when a young-in shows up sometimes. Wary of anyone trying to mess with the girl Jarah began talking in a low voice to Miselda. "Some kid got himself kidnapped outta Augustana. His family wants him back of course and rumor has it he's here in Almas, or at least near by. This rumor ain't exactly well known though. Why take the kid half way cross the country to Almas when Ostenso lays right there a short boat ride away ya know. So far no ransom demands, from whoever took the kid, so that's got a few warnin bells goin off already. Kids also got himself an implanted Ioun stone, whatevers goin on here things ain't quite fittin right. So what d'ya think Ms. Miselda?"
Sherm21
Sherm21

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm
Miselda listened intently, her eyes flashing with curiousity at the story. As the food arrived, she tried her best to keep her attention held, but she was admittedly very hungry. "I know I've bad talked the food here, but damn.. It's great when it's the first thing today!", she thought to herself as she began quickly eating. "Six years, eh?", she replied, sort of wishing she hadn't given her family name, not that it would mean anything to any but the most local of people, and more so the nobility than anyone. "Well, luckily, not a whole lot changes here.. Information is usually pretty easy, but you say this has all flown low so far.. It would take some time, but if any know or have heard he's got an Ioun stone, I imagine all sorts would be after him by now, whether or not that's a good thing of course.", she tapped a finger on her chin. "It is curious he would be led to Almas though. Certainly the Academy has plenty of it's own Ioun stones, so it's doubtful they'd have taken much interest themselves, depending of course on the stone itself..", she added with a hint of worry. It was true that the Academy was home to all sorts, and some of the staff was known to participate in... things that they rather the general populace not know about. "I am not technically allowed entry into the place.. some disagreements, a few measly scrolls out of place.. but it could be worth checking? I would be happy to learn what I can though, seeing as you've already provided me a meal."

She smiled, finishing the last of her meal and turning to scan the room again, before turning back and speaking low. "There's a man, short, bald, human as far as I know, scar on his left cheek. Name's Reeve, instructor at the Academy, usually around here at this time? He'd be the one to get information from, but his price is.. sometimes obscure... Usually requires something that isn't gold, last time he took a strand of hair to let me copy a scroll, but another student paid with the color of his skin? Think the poor guy is still white as snow.. he creeps me out.. I'll be keeping an eye out for him, but if you see him before me, you'll know who he is, just tell him I told you, and don't let him ask for anything too weird...", she rattled off quickly. Miselda was thinking maybe she'd said too much, but after a full belly of food, she was ready to go again. "You'll be here, right? I'll be coming back occasionally, and if I hear anything and you aren't here, just ask Dorrik, barkeep, good guy really." She stood up out of her chair, ready to dash out the door as soon as goodbyes were said. Reeve wasn't here, but she knew a dozen other places he could be, and she would find him.
Magnus Caine

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am
Jirai sat and ate and listened. Now the two women's conversation had piqued his interest. A kidnapped child, smuggled half way across the country. He wasn't, anymore, an altruistic, justice-dealing kind of angel, however this situation smelled fishy, and boy did he hate seafood. The older woman's name stuck in his head, he had definitely heard it before. After he watched Miselda leave, Jirai would get up, and walk over towards the rough and tumble woman. Nodding his head, "Jarah, may I join you for a moment, to talk about your current target? I would like to offer my assistance." Once he got close, and looked into her eyes, however, it all clicked together, "Mama J, it's been... a long time." He would turn a chair around, and sit backwards in it, "You look great, considering you haven't aged a day in fifty years."
Aphrodine

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 am
Mayday sat there patiently, waiting on her meal. She knew the barkeep was giving her more than she asked. After a few minutes a hot bowl of stew with much more vegetables and meat than anyone else got who ordered it and a chunk of cheese bread were placed in front of her. The barkeep slid a drink of some kind and her money that she had set down earlier. Mayday knew it was useless to protest; the barkeep had made up his mind. "Thank you," she said to him, and began to eat. The thoughts floating around the room were nothing of note, until 'kidnapped child' was thrown into the mix. Then the other half elf was beginning to leave, a person on her mind. Mayday had seen him in town, walking in the other direction. His thoughts had been all over the place, but that wasn't all that uncommon. "The man you are looking for was walking towards the center of town thirty minutes ago. I suggest you start there," she said to the woman as she took a drink. It was sweetened milk. Mayday had to remind herself that she was still technically a child even if she didn't feel like one.
Yackle

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm
Jarah smiled at Miselda as she stood up from the table, "I like you sugar, and I'm mighty grateful. You know Adrian Jones and his kin? If'n you need anything just tell any of em that Mama J sent you and they'll sort you out best they can. I appreciate it." As Miselda left Jarah noticed the white haired man walkin towards her, he was mighty familiar but she couldn't quite suss it out.

"Jarah, may I join you for a moment, to talk about your current target? I would like to offer my assistance." He said and Jarah's eyes narrowed, this boy had mighty fine hearin and she wasn't used to people listening in on her. Then recognition dawned across his face "Mama J, it's been... a long time."he said turning a chair around, and sitting at the table, "You look great, considering you haven't aged a day in fifty years."

Jarah smiled and clapped the man on his shoulder. "Well I'll be damned, I thought I recognized you You ain't changed a bit either Jirai. How goes the wanderin life? Find a place to root yourself yet?"
Sherm21
Sherm21

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 pm
Miselda grinned as she hopped to the door, before hearing a small voice. The girl was clearly too young to be in a place like this, but she wasn't one to judge, having been a regular in here herself for a few years now. "You.. you've seen Reeve then? I suppose I must learn to speak a bit quieter, though it's nothing really, most of the patrons in here know him.", she replied, narrowing her eyes a bit. "Odd.. I know I was being silent. I'm not really /that/ out of touch surely?", she thought to herself. Her thoughts would be easy for the girl to read, as Miselda was never one to guard her emotions. "I suppose I should thank you! It will certainly make finding him much quicker if I've a place to begin. I see Dorrik is treating you well? He does have quite the soft spot, the big lug..", she grinned, winking to Dorrik, who scoffed and went about his keeping. In truth, Miselda saw a bit of herself in the girl, sitting and drinking her sweetened milk in nearly the same place she had just several years ago, and she smiled warmly, removing a small silver ring set with a ruby. The stone would appear to be a fake, given Miselda's owning it, but it was a reminder of her former nobility and was quite real. She gave it to the girl, leaning in a bit to speak kindly, but softly. "Should you ever be in need, that would fetch enough with the right merchant to keep you fed easily for at least a moon. Miselda, by the way.", she stepped back, giving a bow. She loved children, and those who lived near her without homes of their own would often gather to her, hoping for a small gift or a story, occasionally a bit of light-hearted magic. There was something a bit different about this girl that she couldn't begin to place, but she would always feel a need to act as a big sister for everyone..
Magnus Caine

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm
Jirai nodded towards Jarah, "Still traveling. No place has been able to keep my interest for longer than a few moments, at least in our view of things, but, I digress, this child. I am interested in assisting you to find him. Free of charge." His eyes would go to Miselda and the unknown child. He would narrow his eyes, and he could feel, or, see rather, the touch of the divine on her. He scowled, but could tell this child was not divine herself. However he did steel himself against her. He hasn't escaped the bounty on his head for this long by letting his guard down. Turning back to Jarah, "So the boy is somewhere near here, in theory, and has a Ioun stone? Well, there can't be many children who have one of those. Though, knowing a woman of your professional abilities, you have already ran all of the basic information down. If you will have my help, you are more than welcome to it."
Aphrodine

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:30 pm
Mayday looked up at Miselda and studied her. "You're volume was quiet. I just have exceptional hearing," she said. "But yes, I did see him." She continued eating when Miselda gave her the ring. As much as Mayday hated being pitied, she couldn't dent it's kept her alive. She took the ring in her hand and studied it. "My name is Mayday. If you insist on giving this to me, then I must insist on helping you find this man. If you will let me finish my meal, I will accompany you." Before Miselda could say anything, Mayday drained the rest of her bowl and ate the rest of the bread before hopping off of the stool.
Yackle

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:03 pm
"Son, when I say kid I ain't meanin no little boy. This kids about 16 and from what I hear he's got a bit of attitude. Not sayin I don't want your help but I don't wanna mislead you either. Not even the Naran family is dumb enough to implant a Ioun into a kid that young. From what my kin told me, this brat was gettin himself involved in some seedier activities of his own accord and it backfired abit. That bein said, he's young and dumb and if we help em out there's a decent reward." Jarah said leaning back in her chair.

"The thing that's got me a mite concerned though is the fact no one knows, or at least the Naran's aren't tellin, what that stone the kids got does. I don't think his family officially approves of it either. I worry it's dangerous. I worry this kid's not as innocent as they make him out to be. From what I've heard about him he's egotistical and scoffs at the rules. I ain't got no proof on this yet, just a gut feeling, but I think this kid planned something with his 'kidnappers'" Jarah said using finger quotes. "And I think it backfired on him, I just don't know what the damned plan was...and I don't like it."
Sherm21
Sherm21

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 am
Miselda smiled, moving to sit down to wait for the girl to finish her meal. She no sooner began to pull her seat out before Mayday had already finished, leaving Miselda with a sort of blank stare, blinking a few times. "You.. must have been hungry?", she chuckled a bit, raising an eyebrow and pushing the seat back in. "That alley is on the way, bit more food in that sack still, but I'd hate to risk the guards still hanging around.. can't fly with an accomplice.. Side streets, rooftops, or shadows..?", she tapped her chin, deep in thought. "It's lovely to meet you Mayday, interesting name by the way.", she beamed warmly, giving a bow of her head to Dorrik, motioning her eyes to the table where Jarah and the stranger were sitting. He rolled his eyes in silent response, raising a laugh and a wink from Miselda as she turned to leave the inn.

The night air was a bit chilly, but it felt nice compared to the stuffy inn. "So then Mayday, we'll have to be a bit cautious.. I don't suppose you'd be an expert on keeping a low profile? Though, your small size, not a local, sorta unimposing..", she continued, walking a small circle around her, seemingly measuring her up and inspecting her as she spoke to herself. She stopped abruptly, standing straight and raising a finger with a wide grin. "How are you with heights?" She loved the rooftop approach personally. It gave her a great view of her surroundings and made her feel like a rogue from the stories. Luckily, the buildings around the main streets were fairly close together, only a couple places requiring a small enough gap to jump. "If you're not comfortable with that, I do know a few side streets, should be fast enough in theory.. It's not like the old man moves that quickly..", she added. She'd go along with anything, she just thought it nice for once to have someone tagging along, typically her exploits were done alone.. If it came to having to protect the girl, she was no stranger to putting up a fight, nor would she be at all opposed to it, but it would hopefully not come to that.
Magnus Caine

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:54 pm
Jirai would nod to Jarah, "I understand. I still intend to help you out. I won't need any of the reward either. Though, depending on the Ioun stone, and the condition we retrieve the son in." Jirai was nothing if not practical. He hadn't survived on the run this long without it. Shaking his head, "So has there been anything else odd going on in town? Perhaps something that we might be able to at least tie to this missing scoundrel? I just arrived, legitimately landing about an hour before arriving in this building. So I'm a bit out of touch to this community."
Aphrodine

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:12 pm
"I have not had a proper meal in two days," she said. "And thank you. I was named after the day I was born." She followed Miselda outside and allowed her to inspect her. When she asked about being inconspicuous, she pulled her hood up over her head. "Neither height, nor the danger of falling, scares me," she explained. She walked into an alleyway next to a pile of old boxes and garbage and quickly scurried up to the roof, using telekinesis to help her along. Years of tree climbing, especially recently, had come in handy. She stared down at Miselda, waiting for her to join.
Yackle

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:25 pm
Jarah took a long drink and shook her head. "We've got rumors, family's all got their ears to the ground and that spitfire of a girl that just left is lookin into things too. There are three prevailing theories based on a few little clues here and there from what I got from my kin. Theory one, drug smugglin; there's been an uptick in Esoterum, and Slaver's drop here in Almas the past couple of weeks, round bout the time the kid went missin. Could possibly be he's been investing some of his resources from his family into a side business, and somethin went sour. This theory's tied pretty closely to theory 2 though which is slavers themselves. There's been a few missin people in Almas proper, nothin necessarily outside the norm for a city this size but we've got feelers out into the surrounding area to see if they've had an increase in things. Now if it's the slavers our boy could be innocent and they've got a buyer willing to pay more for him and his stone that what the Naran's are offerin. This theory pisses me off the most because I was here for the gorram People's Revolt and I like what they've done with the place. Hell the Associative act was only about 50 years ago, and now we've got slavers tryin to move in again, and people trying to undermine the way this countries trying to run itself and I'm not a fan. I'm proud of what this country has built and where it's goin and I hate seein people meddlin in it." Jarah shook her head and downed the rest of her drink.

"Anyway the third theory, it's pretty flimsy, but there's a new fellow in town, moved in about a month ago. He's rich and reclusive and seems to be some sort of magic user. He bought one of the old manors outside of town, it's a bit rundown but it's secluded and has some pretty sturdy walls from what I here tell. Some of the boys in the family took the job of movin things in for him and ran a guard detail for him before he had some of his own fellas show up and take over. Could just be an extrinsic old wizard or sorcerer or whatever, Jones' never took much to magic so the boys couldn't tell Adrian exactly what type he was, just that he seemed to have a shit ton of books and some weird devices. We've still got a man on the inside there though. One of Adrian's daughters is actually workin in the house. She cooks, and cleans the main floor and the old coots room. But she ain't allowed elsewhere and the man's got runes and wards damn near everywhere." Jarah motioned for another drink and leaned her chair back on two legs. "I'm not sure which theory is the right one or if any of them are, we've got eyes and ears out though but if'n I don't learn much new, I'm gonna think on it a bit tonight and decide which lead to chase down first tomorrow. Slinkin around in the dark is for youngins, an Old bat like me needs rest." She said with a smile.
Sherm21
Sherm21

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:04 pm
She smiled and danced a bit to herself, squealing with excitement, at least until she saw the speed in which Mayday climbed the building. She blinked a few times, now uncertain that she'd be able to keep up herself, "O-oh.. wow.. you really are good?" "Hells, I suppose I should probably not have sold myself as some rogue now..", she thought to herself, laughing in spite of her abilities. She looked around for a moment, before shrugging and taking a running start at the wall Mayday had climbed, struggling a little in a couple places, but making it to a spot near her on the roof quickly enough. "Well then, I don't suppose it's you I've got to worry about? Now.. we'll be completely unseen up here, just a straight shot across the lower market before we'll reach the central square!", she spoke a bit lowly. Her steps across the rooftops were much more graceful than her climbing thankfully, seeming to dance across any rough places. As she neared the first small jump, she took a moment, before running full speed and clearing it with ease, waiting on the other side and leaving plenty of room for Mayday. She looked around a bit, to the streets, "I've seen nary a guard at all.. Perhaps this will be as simple as I'd hoped?", she thought to herself.
Magnus Caine

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:39 pm
Jirai would listen to Jarah talk, drinking his ale and finishing his meal, "Its been a while since I've been on an actual manhunt, but it seems we are going to have to start in the gutters. If your family can't find out for sure, only the eyes and ears of the poor and downtrodden are likely to have a chance." He shakes his head, "I'd like to hope that he's innocent, and that he's just been nicked by slavers, but I've been down here long enough to become what some people would call a cynical bastard. So I'm more than likely leaning towards two or three. Adding a fourth option, that he might be working with the slavers. Depending on what the stone does, he could be right up their alley. Regardless of that though, we might want to poke the people thieves anyway. One less problem to worry about, and no one that matters will miss a group of slavers anyway."

Setting some more coin on the table, Jirai rose from his seat, "Cmon now lazy bones. We both might be old, but it wouldn't do us any good to have the kids do all of the footwork. We've gotta pull our own weight. Plus, I hate just sitting around when there's something to do." Leaning down to tie his shoe, he'd whisper, very quietly, so hopefully only Jarah could hear, "We are also being listened to. Green tunic, cloak, missing finger on his left hand." He'd rise and thank the barkeep, before heading for the door.
Aphrodine

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:13 pm
Mayday jumped over as well with ease, using telekinesis to soften the landing. She scanned around, hearing some thoughts here and there, but nothing that would indicate a guard. "I would still be careful. You never know who could be watching." As if on cue, she finally heard a thought that mentioned the roof they were standing on. She couldn't tell where it was coming from, but looked around to see before grabbing Miselda by the front of her shirt and pulling her down out of sight with her. Voices could be heard from below. "I thought I saw someone jump over... Guess it was just my imagination."
"Either that, or you're drunk, mate."
Mayday waited until she couldn't hear them in any capacity before letting Miselda go. "Perhaps it is not the guards we should be worrying about," she said. "I do not know where we are going, so lead the way, and I will keep up."
Yackle

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 am
"Here I was hopin for a calm evening," Jarah said throwing back her last drink and wiping her mouth. She nodded surreptitiously to Jarai and stole a quick glance at the man he mentioned as she put her hat on and nodded towards the barkeep. She followed Jirai out shaking her head. "Hells bells I'm losing my touch in my old age. I swear, first you overhear me now that fella. Maybe I need to retire. Gotta stop feeling comfortable places I guess." She pulled out her revolvers and checked them over one by one before re-holstering them. "Ain't no time to be payin a visit to proper folks so how bout we try and score some drugs eh? I hear tell you can find most anything down at the docks."
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum